Daniel S. Sweetser
101 Grovers Mill Road
Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
Dan is a Partner in the firm’s Business Law and Litigation Group. For over two decades, Dan has been successfully litigating a wide range of cases in the State and Federal courts of New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Dan represents and counsels clients in the areas of employment law, contracts, business disputes, insurance, securities, franchise and civil rights law.
U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1991
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1997
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2000
American Bar Association – Employment Law Section
New Jersey State Bar Association
Mercer County Bar Association
Bucks County Bar Association
National Employment Lawyer’s Association
New Jersey Employment Lawyer’s Association
Pennsylvania Employment Lawyer’s Association
New Jersey Super Lawyers™ List Issued by Thomson Reuters – Business Litigation, 2010- 2016, 2022
Martindale – Hubbell™ AV Preeminent Rated Attorneys – since 2012
Pellettieri, Rabstein & Altman – Partner
- Victory in Third Circuit Court of Appeals: Dan successfully upheld a jury verdict and $1,085,000 judgment he obtained for his client in a breach of contract case against a Fortune 500 company in New Jersey Federal District Court. The Third Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the jury verdict. The defendant ultimately paid Dan’s client $1,167,000 to resolve the case.
- $1,250,000 Political Discrimination Settlement: Dan obtained a $1,250,000 settlement in Federal Court against the New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency on behalf of several employees who were fired shortly after a new administration took office. Dan’s clients alleged that they were fired for political reasons. The case settled just before trial.
- Jury Verdict in Favor of Employer Client in Wrongful Discharge Case: Dan obtained a jury verdict in New Jersey Federal District Court for his employer client in a lawsuit filed by a former employee who alleged that he was wrongfully discharged in retaliation for reporting sexual harassment. The jury found no wrongdoing by Dan’s client.
- Multi-Hundred Thousand Dollar Settlement for Oppressed Shareholder: Dan obtained a multi-hundred thousand dollar recovery for a shareholder in a small company who was forced out of the Company. Dan argued that his client was treated unfairly by the Company and paid less than what he was entitled to for his shares. Dan prevailed on a summary judgment motion and after doing so, the Company agreed to settle with Dan’s client.
- $200,000 Settlement for Potential Employee in Handicap Discrimination Case: Dan recently obtained a $200,000 settlement during trial for his client who claimed that he was unlawfully refused a job by a police department due to a perceived handicap.
- Confidential Six Figure Settlement of Sexual Harassment Retaliation Claim: Dan obtained a six figure settlement for his client in a Mercer County lawsuit where Dan’s client claimed that she was fired for complaining about sexual harassment by her boss. After Dan obtained a jury verdict on the issue of liability, the defendant employer settled the case while the jury was deliberating on the issue of punitive damages.
- $200,000 Settlement of Student’s Civil Rights Claim During Trial: Dan obtained a $200,000 settlement for his client after three days of trial in New Jersey Federal Court. Dan’s client alleged that she was sexually abused whil-e a student in a local high school by an employee. The high school settled the case after Dan presented his client’s case to the jury.
- Multi-Hundred Thousand Dollar Age Discrimination Settlement: Dan obtained a multi-hundred thousand dollar confidential settlement for a securities industry executive during a securities’ industry arbitration. Dan’s client alleged that he was discharged due to his age.
- Jury Verdict in Sexual Harassment Retaliation Claim: Dan obtained a jury verdict in Pennsylvania Federal Court which resulted in a $300,000 settlement. The jury found that Dan’s client was unlawfully fired by her employer after reporting that a co-worker was being sexually harassed. The employer settled the case prior the damages phase of the trial.
- Trial Victory in Franchise Law and Consumer Fraud Case: Dan obtained a verdict for his two clients, a restaurant franchisor and its franchising company, in a lawsuit brought by a franchisee seeking $1,000,000 in damages. After a five-day non-jury trial in Atlantic County, the Court ruled that Dan’s clients did not violate the law and entered judgment in their favor.
- Trial Verdict for Employer in Contract Case: Dan obtained a trial verdict in State Court for an employer who was sued by its former National Sales Manager for a multi-hundred thousand dollar bonus. Dan proved at trial that the employee’s contract did not entitle her to the claimed bonus due to the circumstances of her separation. The court ruled in favor of Dan’s client on all counts.
- Dismissal for Employer Client in Wrongful Discharge Case: Dan successfully had a claim of handicap discrimination dismissed in favor of his employer client. Dan’s client was sued by a former employee who was discharged. The case was dismissed by a Camden County Judge on summary judgment.
- Jury Verdict in Favor of Employer in Pregnancy Discrimination case: On January 25, 2012, Dan obtained a jury verdict in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Mercer County, for a corporate client in a lawsuit filed by a former employee. The employee alleged that she was fired due to her pregnancy. After a five day jury trial before Judge Darlene Pereksta, the jury returned a unanimous verdict if favor of Dan’s client finding that the former employee’s discharge was not due to her pregnancy.